Recipe: Cinnamon Sugar Mixed Nuts
This weekend I’ll be attending a holiday dinner with lots of extended family. Rather than spending a fortune on impersonal gifts or fearing leaving someone out I made a trip to the Bulk Barn and decided to do some baking so that everyone has something to take home with them.
These cinnamon sugar mixed nuts are a sweet treat that was easy to make (and left my house smelling amazing, which was a little bonus).
What you need:
- 6 cups mixed nuts, unsalted
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
What to do:
- Place mixed nuts in a large bowl (I used 4 cups of a mix of cashews, pecans, almonds + 1 extra cup of almonds and 1 extra cup of pecans)
- In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and whip them until frothy.
- Pour egg whites over nuts and toss until fully coated.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture over the nuts and mix. I poured half the sugar mixture first, stirred, and then added the rest to ensure everything was evenly combined.
- Pour nuts on a baking tray lined with tinfoil.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
With the amount I made, I was able to fill 7 x 330mL glass jars. Like I mentioned, they make great handmade gifts to give to family and friends, or to keep on hand for unexpected guests during the holidays.