Nutella French Toast Rollups
So I’ve seen several versions of these circulating around and had half of an almost-stale loaf of sandwich bread to use up and thought I would give it a shot!
These French toast roll-ups are super simple and completely customizable using whatever is in your pantry and fridge. And bonus – they’re a crowd pleaser…
What you need:
- 9-12 slices sandwich bread
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 banana (thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Cut the crusts off each slice of bread to create squares. Using a rolling pin, flatten out each square.
- Spread a layer of Nutella (to your desired thickness) over each slice of bread and top with a few thin slices of banana.
- Roll each slice of bread so that the filling is on the inside.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, and milk.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Dip each bread roll in the egg mixture, coating it entirely.
- Pan fry the rolls until each side is golden brown, flipping frequently. (This took me about 3-4 minutes per side).
- While they are frying, combine cinnamon and sugar on a plate.
- Once the French toast rolls are golden all around, remove from heat and immediately roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Serve with maple syrup and enjoy immediately.
While I was making these several other flavour combinations came to mind, like strawberries and Nutella, blueberry jam, or even peanut butter.
Let me know what fillings you try!